I wish I had the photos here but I was too eager to reassemble the camera, so there are no pictures for the repair here. 😦

Last week, I dropped my precious Yashica TLR on the pavement when it popped out of the case. It’s a silly design, because although the camera has strap lugs, it is well nigh impossible to find a strap for it. Instead, a leathery case is placed over the camera, and the straps attach to the case. Normally, this is not a problem (though a huge hassle to keep buttoning and unbuttoning the front flap). However, my case is only a half-case (the front part is missing) so the camera sits in the half case, held on only my 2 little metal retainers. So anyway, long story short, I slung my camera over my shoulder and halfway home, it popped out and landed lens-first onto the pavement. I was lucky that the lens hood was in place, which prevented any scratches on the lens element.

However the protruding lens hood also served to concentrated the impact around the taking lens, resulting in a dent that caused the aperture and shutter wheel to disengage from the aperture indicator and shutter setting gear, respectively. I was distraught, and proceeded to list the camera on ebay, until I saw these photos on flickr, and realized that taking the camera apart may not be that difficult.

So I proceeded to disassemble the camera and took out the front skirting, and realized that the gearing mechanism is pretty simple.  All I had to do was to somehow un-dent it, and everything should sit back in place.  I tried to use a pair of pliers to pull the front out, and also tried to pry it up, but to no avail.  Desperate, I placed the skirting face down on my carpet and started hammering it, using a screwdriver as a ‘chisel’ to direct the blows.  Amazingly, it worked.  I evened out the dent and the gears moved freely.  I should mention now that the lens elements were totally unaffected as they sit on a separate assembly, i.e. all that was damaged was the gearing system controlling the exposure.

I put the camera together, and endured that the dials are all in place, then again made sure that the gears on the front panel engaged the metering system.  And voila! I got my camera back!  A few coats of paint later, you can hardly tell it was ever damaged.

Advertisements